Monday, July 14, 2008

Soul Types - INTJ

My sister has started to give me personality type related books for Christmas.  The most recent one she gave me is called Soul Types by Sandra Krebs Hirsh and Jane A. G. Kise. The book divides people into 4 over all soul types and then breaks each of those down into two smaller subsets:

Sensing
- Extroverted Sensing (ESTP, ESFP): The Active Spiritual Path
- Introverted Sensing (ISTJ, ISFJ): The Time-Honored Spiritual Path
Intuitive
- Extraverted Intuition (ENTP, ENFP): The Catalytic Spiritual Path
- Introverted Intuition (INTJ, INFJ): The Illuminating Spiritual Path
Thinking
- Extraverted Thinking (ESTJ, ENTJ): The Analytical Spiritual Path
- Introverted Thinking (ISTP, INTP): The Conceptual Spiritual Path  
Feeling
- Extraverted Feeling (ESFJ, ENFJ): The Community-Oriented Spiritual Path
- Introverted Feeling (ISFP, INFP): The Personal Spiritual Path

Though not everything she said about INTJ's fit with my natural tendencies, many did  (not just in terms of spirituality, but in other areas as well).  I thought I'd post a few excerpts that I think describe me:

"Their paths reflect a desire to learn, know, and work out their own spiritual philosophy. Often they are most interested in exploring big questions significant to their worldview and working out their own answers, studying in depth until they reach a solid understanding."  (p. 121)

This is in stark contrast to those who hear something from an "expert" and fall for it hook, line and sinker.  I know people like that, but that is definitely, certainly, absolutely and positively not me. Although I may come to agree with something that "experts" have written, it is only because I have done copious amounts of study on my own and have decided that the "experts" did a decent job.  That said, I'm not above adding notes and corrections to what an "expert" has said.  (Well, except Jesus.  I don't know that I've ever corrected him.  He rocks.)

Here's more along a similar vein:

"While Introverted Intuitive types enjoy listening to qualified experts or participating in discussions, if they need answers to a particular question, they are likely to go to a library or bookstore, read several sources, then come to their own conclusions.  They also enjoy in-depth study of a variety of topics, retreating with a stack of books to an inspiring place to indulge in the luxury of spending time with intellectual explorations that feed the soul." p. 124-125)

This is so me... and so not Rob.  Rob likes to take a passage of Scripture, perhaps even just one little verse, and sit and think on it.  He'll repeat it and meditate on it and underline it and read it again.  But doing that would drive me absolutely batty (more so than I already am).  Reading something once is enough for me.  I want to move on and see how it fits in context.  Better yet, I want to do a study on a greater theme and see how the bits and pieces and details fit together to create a cogent whole that I can them fit into some pleasing metaphors or guiding principles.  

"Introverted Intuitive types often pursue study for the purpose of designing or planning educational materials or presentations that will help others deepen their beliefs."  (p. 125)

OMG. That has Meg written all over it.  I've worked on a devotional for years.  I've seen other people's devotionals and they're essentially just pretty bits of string tied into little bows.  There's no substance to them.  Of course, if someone else were to read what I've written, perhaps they'd think the same thing.  But writing them, that took all sorts of study and thinking and cud chewing.   That's what I love.  ... Hmmm, I think I've published the first chapter here on Multiply somewhere. Sure enough. (Ignore the dorky logo.  I just didn't want Multiply-Man standing there.)

I've also, more recently, been working on writing a Bible study.  We attend a fairly conservative church and though I tend to agree with the doctrine, the church's opinions in other areas (such as politics, the environment, and meat eating) tend to turn my stomach. (But I've willingly put myself into that congregation, so I don't make a big stink about it.  I just make occasional jabs and they all make occasional jabs back... all in good fun.  And having to relate to someone who agrees with them theologically but disagrees in other areas has been really eye-opening and paradigm shifting for some of them in a good way, imo.)  I've tried to suggest a systematized study of environmental issues and what the Bible has to say about them.  But the book I suggested was shot down faster than my dog can nab a squirrel.  So I decided that the only way to really address this issue in any way that as going to work with these folks, I'd have to write a Bible study.  They wouldn't hear anything an unknown (tree hugging) author said, but they'd listen if it came to them straight out of Scripture.

... Anyway, all that to say that I definitely fit into the soul type that wants to do research in order to educate others.  I think that also comes out in my interactions here on Multiply.  I'm often helping people figure out how to use the site or fix problems. 

Our spirituality is something that we think of as something deeply personal and unique to ourselves, but here I've been pegged by Sandra and Jane who don't even know me.  Whew!  That's a trip.  

4 comments:

  1. I'm an INTJ also and the best source of answer when it comes to the subject of religion and Bible is Mr. Eli Soriano. You can find him on the internet. I got to say he is the best source of info. and has the best answer that will really fill our INTJ personality. Just a piece of advice thanks a lot. God bless for your journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was only able to find one mention of him as an INTJ and that was just that, a brief mention of the fact that that might be what he is.

    Everything else seemed to focus on his teachings that the world may or may not end in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iam very sorry but he is not really a good source of intj info but of different aspects of life. And that also covers different personality types. You can ask him online about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...this thing could've been written about me...my absolute pet peeve is when you ask someone's view on a spiritual matter and they just regurgitate whatever drivel their pastor shoved down their throat...and I'm always figuring out ways of explaining different things to people...and my spirituality is quite unique also...I'm raised Methodist, but consider myself non-Protestant and make heavy use of Eastern Orthodox theology and devotional practices....I have such fun in Bible study debating with people (most of them I do tend to leave in the dust but one girl is able to keep up :-))

    ReplyDelete