Monday, October 25, 2010

God is not a white man

This was just shared among my FB friends and I thought I'd post it here. What do you think? 

Ironically, considering that he's singing about how "God is love," which is certainly Biblical, I can still imagine folks being offended by the song. Were you? If so, why? If not, why not?

I'm going to come down on the not offended side. I think his point that God is not at all like we imagine him to be is important. And the fact that Christians are just as likely to mis-imagine him is also important. Even when we've got a lot of the "right" info straight out of the Bible, it's still easy to get caught up in stuff that's not in there. I know I do this with people -- imagine them to be something they're not -- so it makes sense that I'd mess it up with God as well. It's good to be reminded of that. 


8 comments:

  1. " And even old Pat Robertson...

    Cute.

    He's also a consuming fire.
    But yes, "Stop the Hating."

    I can imagine that some will be offended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is not a man fullstop, nor a woman

    but God, the Son is not white, nor black
    nor from the East or from the West
    but very clever and wise :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. if there was anything offensive there I must have missed it. he makes good, valid and important points which in an ideal world should go without saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the Not offended side. However, I would have written it differently as God is far more than love.
    Holy, Just, Righteous, Omnipresent, all powerful, eternal, self-existant, merciful, forgiving, Triune, sovereign, transcendent, unchanging, all knowing, indescribable, understanding without limit, infallible, perfect planner, Ordains all things, (from Him, through Him and to Him are all things) needing nothing, truth, trustworthy, and on and on, so you can see it would be a ballad actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the Isaiah 55:8-overinterpreting camp, and think that God isn't anything our human minds can imagine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. which is why Jesus had to come

    yes?

    "he who has seen me has seen the Father"
    [in the gospels]

    yes?

    He is the image of the invisible God [Colossians?]

    ReplyDelete
  7. which is why Jesus had to come

    yes?

    "he who has seen me has seen the Father"
    [in the gospels]

    yes?

    He is the image of the invisible God [Colossians?]

    in what He says and does

    but as for ultimate 'Gender'..*

    well, our hearts and minds need to be expanded, as we go on in Him, to grasp the seeing paradox all this brings

    *and continual study of beginnings [Genesis] aids this

    ReplyDelete