Saturday, June 12, 2010

Are we playing the wrong game?

I came across John Alexander's last book when I was unpacking and I set it aside to read again. I started it ages ago and never finished it (partly because the urge to edit it was so strong that I had a hard time letting go of that and just focusing on the ideas. But now that Rob Bell has inured me to this writing style, I'm hoping I'll be able to focus a little better. Besides, now it reminds me of John and brings back pleasant memories more than it stirs up the editor within me.) 

John starts right smack in with the good stuff and just a few pages in I've hit stuff I already want to write about. John compares the church to a baseball team and explains that we don't expect our favorite team to always be perfect, but we do expect them to be playing baseball when they're on the field. In the same way, we shouldn't expect our church to be perfect (it is, after all, made up of imperfect people), but we should at least expect it to be a church, a growing body of united believers achieving the full stature of Christ.

This is something that I've often tried to explain to people, but I feel like I've never explained it very well. John's analogy is quite good, though, and I'd like to share it, as he wrote it, here:

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not so much disturbed by the poor performance of us Christians as about whether we know what we're up to. Fans of the Chicago Cubs don't seem to mind too much that their team plays badly and drops the ball from time to time. But what if in the middle of a close game, the Cubs sat down in the infield and started playing tiddlywinks? Or eating lunch?

No doubt the illustration will prompt all kinds of supposedly entertaining remarks about the Cubs, but when the people of God forget what they're about, it's not at all entertaining. Dropping the ball is one thing. We all do that. I certainly do. And the most casual reading of 1 Corinthians or of Revelation 2-3 prepares us for churches to drop the ball. Often and badly. But it does not prepare us for churches playing the wrong game. Playing the wrong game is very odd. And very troubling.

In fact, it may be the most troubling thing I know--this gap between today's churches and the NT. But what's troubling isn't that churches fail. That's very NT. I don't expect Christians to leap tall buildings at a single bound. To catch every ball. To die rather than let Jews be taken to concentration camps. That is great when it happens, but the NT gives us little reason to expect heroics of ourselves or other Christians. Peter seems to have failed with some regularity. Besides I'm a pastor myself and have learned not to be too stunned by the sin and failure of the folks I pastor: after all, my own record isn't so great. It's God's grace that is great.

So, for example, I don't expect us to live up to the ethics of the kingdom as found in the Sermon on the Mount, but I do expect us to fail in such a way that those watching will know what we were reaching for, what we're failing at. I don't expect us to love each other as we love ourselves, but I do expect us to live in such a way that outsiders will be able to tell that loving each other is what we're about. 

So the problem isn't that we fail. Nor that we do church badly. It's that we're doing something else. We seem to be playing the wrong game against the wrong team at the wrong time. Not always, but pretty often. Maybe especially on Sunday mornings. 

 -- taken from John Alexander's manuscript version of the book that was, at the time, entitled Stop Going to Church and Become the Church (I think John talked about changing the title, but I don't remember what he wanted to change it to except that the focus was Love.)
 
What I've often wondered about is how we can expect the church to be playing the right game if we're not really talking about what game we're playing? It does come up in our congregation once in awhile, during Sunday School (which is poorly attended) or in a sermon. But there's not really any specific time set aside to talk about whether we're still playing the game or if we've gotten sidetracked with doing the wave around the stadium or dancing to the organ music. (OK, so I'm mixing a bit of hockey in here. But I suppose that's the point if hockey's not the game you're supposed to be playing.) I would expect discussions like this at congregational meetings but instead we often get sidetracked with what we spend on watering the grass or hearing reports on stuff that we pretty much already know. 

Of course, this brings up a favorite Christian catch phrase: intentional. But it fits here. How intentional are we as a church? I don't just mean are we, as individuals, thinking about what we're doing, but do we as a congregation communicate with each other on what we're all about and how we're doing in terms of going about it? I'd say that the congregation we're a part of glances across the topic now and then in a rather haphazard manner. How about yours? 

7 comments:

  1. wow. I like what this guy is saying. I loved this: "...I do expect us to fail in such a way that those watching will know what we were reaching for, what we're failing at." I think if we're aware of our failings then we can talk about them in such a way that people around us will know. I haven't a clue about baseball but if I turn to the one sport I know, which is soccer, I'd say if we come back from a match saying "oh dear, we didn't score that many goals this time and we really messed up with that penalty" then people will know we know we've been playing soccer and that we are actually aiming at playing it well. But if we come back from a match saying "hey, it was fun running around in the sunshine, though I thought the grass could do with a trim and I don't like our team's shirt colour" then people might think we haven't really got our focus in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it's easy for any church, young or old, of any denomination, in any country, to get caught up in the stuff that doesn't matter -- to even get caught up in the extraneous stuff to the point that they end up playing an entirely different game.

    it's possible to use a lot of the same tools of the (baseball) game (a bat, a ball) and end up playing some other game entirely (like cricket). you *think* you're still playing baseball, but everyone in the stadium looking down has noticed that the baseball diamond has turned into a cricket oval. oh, that and the missing 7th inning stretch might rather give it away. but before you know it you're so into cricket that you might not even care any more that you're not playing baseball. sometimes it seems like there are congregations so into doing the stuff they do, that they don't really seem to care if they're the body of christ any more, as long as they've got the right programs in place and the sermon is entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom does a lecture for a bible study at her church. it looks like she's already getting ready for next fall's study of isaiah. she just sent me the text of one of her talks. this part seemed to fit with this post:when i lived in alabama for a year I joined a very wealthy church in the heart of montgomery. usually it would not have been a church I would have chosen but good friends we had had in philadelphia when we lived there had moved there and were members. many of the people from what i could tell, did not really know the lord. but in the south church membership is very important.

    the pastor at that church was a tactful man who knew enough not to make waves. his job depended on it. so each sermon had to do with the world and how bad it was. this was very safe, the finger was never pointed at the congregation. everyone went home self satisfied. and that is exactly how we can be as we read this first chapter of isaiah. yep, the world is sure bad. good thing we are different.it's when going to church becomes more important than being the church that you end up with congregations like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes, and when you have ministers who prefer to play it safe - I've heard it said that a pastor's role is to comfort the afflicted and to afflict the comfortable... if there's nothing in the sermons to ever challenge us, then something is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the sentiments expressed by John Alexander and by each contributor. I agree that it's a bad thing to forget what the church is really for and spend our time and efforts doing something else. The metaphors seem apt. I agree that a lot of this is happening. We do seem, quite often, to forget what we're there for. My puzzle is this: what are we talking about? I haven't read the book. Does the author explain what the church ought to be doing, and does he point the way to doing it? If somebody stated what these things are, I would interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, he does. this is from the very beginning of the book where he's introducing what he's going to talk about. the original title for the book was "Stop going to church and be the church" which gives you a hint at where he's going to go with this.

    i'll be posting more quotes as i go.

    ReplyDelete