Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Damage You Do

While reading John Alexander's book, I came across a note that I had written in the margin that said to "see notebook". So I pulled out my old notebook from that time period ('97-'98) and flipped through it looking for any comments I might have written. I'm not sure that I've found what I'm looking for yet, but in the meantime I came across a poem that reminded me of Meirav's recent ramblings on ketchup-removal.

The context of the poem was that someone I was rather close to was furiously, horribly, intensely upset with someone else. 


The Damage You Do

I'm not saying that I don't have blind spots, too.
I just want to express
 (to cry out before it devours you)
 that I see one of yours.
And I wouldn't bring it up,
  I wouldn't mention it
 except I see what it does to you
  and what it's doing to others.
And it makes me so incredibly sad
  so mortified that this has come to pass
that I want to come at you
  screaming
  and railing
  and pounding you
  ...until you see.
But screaming, railing & pounding
  only make the turtle
  disappear behind his armor.
So I know I must become gentle
  and patient, 
  an apt teacher. 
I need to mirror you to yourself
  in such a way
  that you will see with your own eyes
  the damage you do.
And I need to plead before God
  that he will unshutter your eyes
  and melt your heart
  and teach you once again
   of the depth and form of his forgiveness,
enabling you to forgive.

6 comments:

  1. and there you go making me cry again.

    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I just say this is one of the best poems I've read all year Meg. I found the link from Meirav's site. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'aw, thanks you guys.

    i think the poem kinda gets at the heart of christianity -- not entirely, but a bit. our natural reaction in a situation like this is to get frustrated and yell something like, "you idiot!!!! don't you see that this is something you'll regret some day?! or worse yet, something you'll never regret, but instead you'll grow into a bitter old man over!" but Jesus didn't come as a yeller and a hater, telling us all how wrong we are. he came as a teacher, and he explained with stories so we'd get to the very core and depth of how wrong we are, but we'd feel his arms around us as he explains it, rather than feeling like we're getting a poke in the eye.

    and we're to go and do likewise. i've had a lot of epiphanies in my christian walk, but this is probably one of the greatest of them, and one of the hardest to actually follow through on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. amen to all that you said.

    it reminds me of an old Jewish saying, which I'm struggling to translate well - it sounds so poetic in Hebrew - but it's something like:

    the shy one can't learn
    and the strict one can't teach

    in other words - or at least how I understand it - if you're too shy to ask questions you won't learn anything, and if you're too strict with your pupils they won't be able to learn much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very true I suppose. I've been told many times I shouldn't too too hard (strict) on my sons.

    ReplyDelete