Saturday, June 4, 2011

Quotes from Lynne Baab on Personality Types

I covered the "why" of personality types in my last post about Lynne Baab's book, Personality Type in Congregations: How to Work with Others More Effectively, but this time around I wanted to list some direct quotes from the book. 

"...we need to make sure there are places in every church where every type preference can experienced."

I think this is really important. I understand why SJ's would want to attend a church that focuses on structure, tradition, creeds and solemnity. And I understand why people with an Extroverted Sensing function might feel most comfortable in a church with incense or candles or raised hands or spectacular music. It makes sense to be in a congregation where we feel like we "fit" and we're best able to feel connected to God. And maybe we don't need to worry so much about visitors because they can always keep looking till they find a church that fits for them. But what about our kids? I have Extroverted Feeling daughters who love when we clap along to songs or otherwise get into the music, but that really doesn't happen so often in our mostly SJ church. 

And I think it's important that even in an SJ church, people are encouraged to stretch a little, try new things, and find other ways to connect to God that might not feel as natural or as comfortable, but that might still enable them to have a better sense of God that goes beyond their previous understanding. 

"When we are taking in information through intuition, we remain in the present reality of the senses only long enough to receive enough sensory data to make a leap into the possibilities associated with those data. While sensing focuses on the present and uses memories of the past to provide further information, intuition focuses on the future. Intuition explores the big pictures, the overall theme, the patterns that are present, the connections between the pieces of data received, and, above all, the meaning of the information."

"Each of us uses both ways of taking in information, but most of us prefer one over the other. People who prefer sensing tend to be practical, factual, and concrete, concerned with the details of each tree rather than studying the forest as a whole. People who prefer intuition tend to be abstract and to think globally. They are concerned with the pattern of the forest rather than the characteristics of the individual trees."

I found the first paragraph to be very helpful. (I included the second because it's also a good description, though I'd understood that part before.) When I try to explain the different between S and N to people, I often find myself saying that S's are more detail oriented and N's are more big picture oriented. But what confuses me is that I notice details, too. In fact, sometimes specific details are exactly what give me my insights. So I've been confused about the differences in detail gathering between S's and N's. I think Baab delineated the differences well in this paragraph. 

"The physical surroundings in their house of worship may be quite important to sensing types." 

This is so true of Rob, not just with worship but with schools, too. Every time we visit a university campus he doesn't care what programs they offer or what type of classes he could take, what matters is how old and cool the buildings are. He struggles with the fact that our congregation meets in a building that was built in the 60s or 70s. He's much rather be downtown in something old and funky. 

"When [Jung] uses the word feeling, he is referring to a decision making pattern that involves concern for human values and that strives primarily for relational harmony. It is decision making based on deeply held values. In contrast, the word "thinking" involves making decisions with a concern for logica nd truth. Thinking is more detached and objective than feeling."

"Thinking involves a concern for logic and truth; feeling involves a concern for values and harmony." 

I'm very clear on what thinking means. I get foggy when it comes to feeling. Or, more to the point, I get foggy when it comes to Rob. I would say that he makes decisions based on values and truth. He has very strongly held values and he sees them as core truths. So is he a T or is he an F? When he takes tests he often comes out right in the middle. I think he's an F when it comes to the values bit but a T when it comes to the relational harmony bit. 

Oh, and for the sake of the feeling folks here, let me add this quote:

"Logical analysis alone doesn't guarantee accuracy." 

You can use that against us the next time you're in an argument with a T.  ;-)

"In congregations the thinking-feeling preference may be the most explosive and painful aspect of psychological type differences. It can be difficult for people who prefer thinking and feeling to respect each other. The feeling type proposes an action. The thinking type asks, 'Why?' The feeling type thinks, 'If she really respected me, she wouldn't need to hear reasons.' The thinking type, meanwhile, is wondering, 'If he can't articulate his reasons, can this really be a good idea?'"

I thought this was a great insight. If we knew that we were T's and F's talking, then perhaps we could talk this out and satisfy either side in the end. But without knowing the metathinking that's going on, it's really hard to tease out what's really happening in a situation.

"Perceiving refers to a preference for keeping things open, for continuing to remain in a perceptive attitude. People who prefer perceiving often come across as flexible and easy-going. Judging refers to a preference for making decisions over taking in more information. People who prefer judging often seem to be organized, structured, committed to deadlines, and aware of schedules." 

I thought this was a nice description of J and P. 


Whew! That's plenty of quotes for now, and it doesn't even hit upon the bit of reading I did today. That was all from previous reading. I'll try to splash some more quotes up here soon. 

7 comments:

  1. yes, and not just for the sake of the kids - as a grown-up looking for a church to be part of (say you've moved to a new area or something) there'd be all sorts of factors you'd be looking at, and say there is only one place in the area which fits your theological outlook, you don't have the luxury of going to look for somewhere else that would cater to your personality type. I speak as someone for whom it wasn't easy to find what I felt was the right church for me, and when God led me to a place where I felt (a) I'd get good, solid teaching (b) I wouldn't be pressurised to fit into some mould (as was the case in my previous church) then I grabbed it with both hands - but it does not cater well for my needs as an INFP, and that's sad. It seems that churches that are more suited to INFPs tend to be of a different stream of Christianity, which in terms of doctrine I just couldn't stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting! same here! it just depends what it is - I think I notice details when it's words or numbers (which is why I'm good at proofreading and also at book-keeping) but not when I'm just looking at a scene normally. I've always said I'd be a hopeless witness to a crime, as I wouldn't remember what the criminal looked like or what actually was going on exactly... Years ago in London I remember walking back from the pub with my housemates and we saw a car bumping into a parked car and driving off. We were all three of us incensed at this - that the driver hadn't stopped to check the damage and to leave his details. One of the girls remembered only that it was a (say for example) red car. The other girl had only noticed the make of the car. I couldn't have told you what make or colour it was - and we're talking about right there and then, not a lot later. But I remembered the number plate. The whole registration number. Between us, we had all the details we needed... but it just amazed me the way I remembered that meaningless set of characters but couldn't have said if it was a red car or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. joining you in the fogginess. I thought I'd got the meaning of this term but now I've read this quote here I'm not sure any more.

    but that's ok, being a P I can live with fog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes. this is a challenge not just in congregations - also in a T/F marriage :) I think it's a challenge to my T husband to cope with my decision-making process (which to him probably looks like a non-decision-making process), and I get stretched at times when there's a joint decision, or something I need his approval for, and I have to find a T-friendly way of explaining why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, this is when you want to make a chopping motion with one hand onto the other hand and with each chop have a short, exactly detail that supports your point. i'd be willing to bet that it will work every time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROFL... have never tried the chopping motion approach. but lists of reasons written on the back of an envelope have tended to work well.

    ReplyDelete