Saturday, February 4, 2012

To yield like air in matters of musical styles (specifically "praise music")

The topic of "praise music" vs. hymns came up in our Bible study this week. In fact, I was the one that brought it up. We're studying the book of James and were specifically talking about James 3:17 where it mentions not showing partiality and not being hypocritical. Our Bible study book had a great quote on this: 

He "will yield like air in matters of personal feeling or interest," but "will stand like rock in respect of moral principle." -- C. G. Moule

One of the gals in the study piped up, "But now-a-days everyone is expected to be tolerant" as if it were automatically a bad thing. So I replied, "Yes, there are definitely times when tolerance is important." Everyone seemed to look at me like I'd sprouted a third eye and one person asked, "What do you mean? Can you give an example?" I gave a few, but the one I finally landed on was the preference some people have for praise music and the alternate preference that others have for hymns sung with their traditional tunes. 

I was rather taken aback when this led to an immediate response about how bad praise music is (We do sing a fair bit of praise music in our congregation, by the way.) and how it often involves singing the same line over and over again, such as "God is awesome, God is awesome." I said (oh yes, I did), "you mean like when the angels sing 'Holy, Holy, Holy?"

I won't get into the rest of our conversation here. That's just hashing over a rather discordant and painful time. But I would like to take on the topic itself. I did a quick search of R.C. Sproul's thoughts on praise music (since he was referred to by the person who was so against it) and I found an article that wasn't actually written by R.C. but by a guy named Gene Edward Veith. I found a couple of debatable points in his essay, which you can read on the Ligonier website, but I'd like to zero in on one specific paragraph, just in the interests of trying to focus on the topic and not nitpick on the tangential particulars. He said;

The question is not whether or not we should make use of contemporary music in church, but whether we should make use of pop music. By its nature, pop music is catchy, entertaining, and thus “likeable.” It cannot have much content, much less complexity or depth. If it did, it would cease to be pop art. The art of the folk culture, with its traditions and communal experience, has such things, as does the consciously-crafted art of the high culture, with its challenging content.
I'm not sure how all praise music got condensed down into being pop music, or along the lines of pop music, but I'm going to roll with that. I also don't agree that all pop music is catchy and therefore "likeable" but again, I'll slide past that to get to the next two sentences. "It cannot have much content, much less complexity or depth. If it did, it would cease to be pop art." ... Really? Is that true? 

So I ask you, is pop art a veritable wasteland in the realm of art/music? Can you think of any pop music (or perhaps just a contemporary "praise song") that has any depth at all? And how would you evaluate depth anyway? Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I can agree with Veith's comment although it does threaten to be a blanket statement. There are the occasional exceptions when something arises out of pop art and manages to transcend the mass body of shallow work but those pieces tend to be rare and vastly spaced out. When it comes to praise music there are times I find it lightly entertaining and it will sometimes serve as background music while I'm working. Some songs stand out as deeper than the rest (Amazing Love is one that immediately comes to mind). But in church I prefer the traditional hymns. I do find the lyrics in traditional hymns have significantly more depth than contemporary praise music. I have no problem with Christian entertainment but I don't go to church to be entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sang a song yesterday that would be considered "pop music" according to Veith (although when I looked it up on Google it was labeled as "Christian Rock" by someone else), and yet I find it to be very worshipful. The lyrics that keep running through my head,

    Worthy is the, Lamb who was slain
    Holy, Holy, is He
    Sing a new song, to him who sits on
    Heaven's mercy seat

    Holy, Holy, Holy
    Is the Lord God Almighty
    Who was, and is, and is to come
    With all creation I sing
    Praise to the King of Kings
    You are my everything
    And I will adore You

    Clothed in rainbows, of living color
    Flashes of lightning, rolls of thunder
    Blessing and honor, strength and glory and power be
    to You the only wise King


    I don't know how you go about measuring how "deep" a song is, but this seems pretty deep, and Biblical, to me. Scripture is woven into the words.

    Revelation 4:8 “Holy, holy, holy
    is the Lord God Almighty,
    who was, and is, and is to come.”

    Revelation 5:11 “Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
    to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
    and honor and glory and praise!”

    Ezekiel 1:28 "Like the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud on the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness all around. Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. And when I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard the voice of one speaking."

    Revelation 4:3 "And he who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian, and around the throne was a rainbow that had the appearance of an emerald."

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I said there are some that rise above the norm. With the example you give I only have the lyrics and no aural experience to pull from, but I agree that the lyrics are reverent and worshipful. A lot of the "shallow-ness" can come from a song's delivery. Deep, thoughtful lyrics can initially be masked by thin packaging. Personally, I'm not a fan of contemporary pop/rock be it Christian or secular. Most of it "sounds" too thin for my taste and I have been known to tune out a song based on the opening chords without delving into what the song has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. first of all I want to say well done for saying that stuff in the group. It's not easy taking the risk and coping with people looking at you like you've sprouted two heads.

    as for the pop music thing - I'm not sure I know enough about pop music, nor am I sure I know the definition of pop. I just think it's unhelpful to make these sort of sweeping statements - better to look at each song and judge it for it's own words. If someone has written a good biblical song and put it to a catchy tune, is that a bad thing? I just saw a film recently about the life of John Wesley, and that is one of the things he did - he put good words to the popular tunes of his day, so that people would find it easy to learn to sing them.

    and yes, it's important to be prepared to yield to one another on issues that are not primary doctrine - people have different preferences when it comes to styles of music, that's just human nature, but we so often put our preference on a pedestal and dress it up in some kind of Christian doctrine and judge the sort of music other people prefer to be less sound, less holy, less appropriate for church. Like there was a time when people thought it wasn't ok to have guitar music in church, like if it wasn't organ music it wasn't sacred enough or something. There's nothing in the Bible that tells us what music to use in worship. (no, really, there isn't.)

    ReplyDelete